11 August 2014

Honorary #62: See the Chihuly Exhibit!

Honorary #62: See the Chihuly Exhibit

Back in October 2012 my sweet friend Ann posted pics that she and friend Allison had taken at a glass exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum. Not just any glass exhibit but Dale Chihuly's works of art, sprinkled across the landscape.
I was intrigued.
Amazed.
Jealous.


From the Dallas Show

I plotted how to get to Dallas but that was a particularly crazy Fall (See here for an explanation on that...) and it just didn't happen. 2012 closed and so did the show.
I didn't think much more about it.

Back in March of this year, my brother Steve posted photos on Facebook of the Chihuly Exhibit at the Desert Botanical Garden outside of Phoenix, Arizona. I knew I wasn't going to be anywhere near Arizona,  so while I still wanted to see the exhibit, I did not pursue it.


Chihuly in Arizona

But some things are just meant to be.

Right before we left Colorado in June I got a flyer in the mail. Chihuly at the Denver Botanic Gardens from June until November.
Fate.
Kismet.
Flat out gonna happen.

The girls and I were headed back to Colorado and just by coincidence, we were flying into Denver. Then my friend Diana sent me an email from China. She would be back in Denver the same time that we were back at the cabin. Plans started to shape up.


Same boat, different garden.
Denver Botanic Garden



Thank goodness she checked the times for the day we were headed back to Denver. The exhibit closed at 3pm instead of its usual 8pm.  That meant I had to get those girls up early, close up the cabin and get on the road in order to make it in time.


SO organic. 
Looked like plants...but no.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I figured I had been taunted by this exhibit enough. It was meant to happen. Girls were up before 9am- packing, vacuuming and cleaning.  But not complaining. They had come in plenty late past their curfew the night before. They knew better than to peep about the early (for summering teenagers, at least) hour. We were in Denver by 1:30 where I unceremoniously dumped the girls and grabbed Diana.

At first I didn't even realize these weren't lily pads. . 

O!

I am so glad we went.

This was supposed to represent fire coming across the prairie. 
I'll go with that. 

The Denver Botanic Gardens by themselves are gorgeous. I had never been before, but I will be back.

And the Chihuly Exhibit?

Technicolor, anyone? 


Wonderful.

Dr. Seuss joined hands with Lewis Carroll to create a fantasy Wonderland.


Dr. Seuss, right? 
I think these guys were my favorites.

Look!

Proof I was there!
I want to go back.

(I'm making this an honorary challenge because it was something I wanted to do, didn't get around to, still wanted to do and somehow ended up making it happen. And I'm so happy I did. And that is the whole point of this list. To do the things I want to do, even if a few hoops have to be jumped through to do them,  and make things happen. )


No comments: